Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Enough of the web!

Too much web stuff going on right now... Sure, it was hot years ago, chilled out when the bubble burst, but now it's coming back and they are calling it "Web 2.0". Ugh... Stupid web.

Don't get me wrong, I love AJAX and mashups and all that fun stuff. In fact I've written my fair share of it all. I love sharing my pictures on picasaweb! I have only one problem I can't get past... You have to host your application in a @$#^ $%&#%^ browser! What kinda crap is that?!?! What if my app doesn't need a friggin back button?

Desktop applications are SO much cleaner and can be designed for maximum usability. Sure they're platform dependent, and you can run into issues with client configuration. But they are so much sexier when done right.

On that note, check out my latest app!

8 Comments:

At 10/11/2006 11:16 AM, Blogger Ronan said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 10/11/2006 1:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Dana,

Been following your development efforts sporadically but I'm really impressed with what you have been doing. I know you left a comment on my blog and sorry I haven't followed up on it but it looks like you've got your own cult going now. Great work and reward yourself at the end of this!

 
At 10/12/2006 12:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Been really enjoying your work Jedi. I got an idea for a program: how about writing a simple text replacer, especially on that can replace linebreaks, tabs etc.
Been trying a lot of programs but none of them can replace linebreaks and tabs.

 
At 10/12/2006 5:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Actually, MS Word can replace linebreaks and tabs, but you need to know the special code. It's something like &t for tab (can't remember exactly). Just type that into the replace dialog. Actually you don't even need the special code. Just input them with the advanced options panel within the find dialog in MS Word.

 
At 10/12/2006 3:16 PM, Blogger File13 said...

I agree that desktop applications are cleaner. But I can't deny the usability and accessibility of web 2.0 apps. It also seems clear that the consumer market is heading more toward an internet-based appetite. Windows rocks for quick development, there is a new contender in the OS battle. The Web. And it's winning.

 
At 10/15/2006 2:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What are you calling a shithouse browser? I hope your not referring to Firefox.

 
At 10/16/2006 2:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes! Web apps are slow and clunky. I need software that reacts instantly. Not stuff that is running on top of 10 other layers of software - including crappy browsers.

 
At 10/16/2006 12:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

All your problems are adequately fullfilled by java web start.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home